Monday 12 May 2014

Knitting and garden

I still need to get a picture of my latest sweater, so no picture of that today, but here's my current project. It's a scarf/hood combo. Here's a link to the pattern on Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/peaks-island-hood I'm starting the widening (on the right) for the hood part. I've come across an unclear part in the directions. It says to knit in seed stitch for 28 inches from the end of the scallop (on the left). I'm not sure if it means from the beginning end (cast on edge) or the inside edge. I think longer would be better, and it's just a few inches difference, so I measured from the inside edge. The yarn is Paton's on needle size 8. The garden is looking great. The carrots are now up as are what I'm more confident are green onions than what had been in there. The carrots will definitely need to be thinned. My sowing wasn't very even. I even saw two cucumber sprouts today that I don't think were there yesterday. They are both in the same hill, so I hope at least one of the other hills sprouts too. I swear the onions (non-green) are growing about 2 inches a day. I've read that onions can be frozen when they're cut up. That would be useful for us. We could cut them up, put them in amounts that we normally use and throw them in the freezer. I just need to be patient. now that the garden is all planted, I want the stuff to be grown! I also want to see what won't grow (no signs of the beans yet) and will probably plant more green onions.
The lilacs are in bloom! This was taken this weekend. It rained all day today, so I didn't go back out to see if they're more open. Our crab apple is also in bloom. I'm looking forward to trying to make something with the apples. They are a larger type of crab apple than what I usually see. I'm just not sure how I'll get the apples. Most of the blossoms are high. Our front flower garden is going to be overrun in lilies. I'm not sure which kind yet, but they're a single stalk with lots of leaves off of it similar to the Easter lily that I planted in there a couple weeks ago. I'm looking forward to seeing what they are. I'd be super happy if some of them were stargazers. My wisteria is starting to show signs of life. I was starting to doubt that it was going to grow, but it has a few buds on it. I realize that I'm going to have to wait many years to see flowers, but it will be worth it. I may have to find a place to plant it. A pot probably isn't the best place for it.
Dinner tonight. It is a leek and garlic tart from this website. http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/leek-goat-cheese-tart/ It was tasty, but I think it needed something...like ham or bacon. The feta is just sprinkled on top. I think it would have been better mixed in as well. The browned feta on top was great, but the bites without feta were a bit flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment