Thursday, 30 January 2014
Saturday, 25 January 2014
OK, this isn't going to be a post about me making something, but it is about a project that I've been working on over the past week. We bought the house we live in this past summer. There have been a few minor changes that we've made to it, the most exciting for me was to convert the addition to the basement into my craft room. Of lesser importance was painting the pantry. I love that the house has a pantry in the basement built under the stairs. It was plain wood, which wasn't an issue, but the walls of the basement are cinder block and that was one of the areas where the walls weren't painted, so they were shedding a bit onto the shelves. I really wanted to get the wall painted before using the pantry, but ended up using it some (very unorganized). I have a goal of getting the basement better organized (it's been a catch all since we put the new floor in) and it didn't really make sense to get the pantry properly organized and then paint it in a couple months. Here's what it looked like originally:
Thursday, 16 January 2014
It was knit night last night. I impressed myself with the progress I made on my sweater while we were there. This is the back of the sweater. When I went to knit night, I was only one row out of the ribbing. Here's where it was after knit night. For an idea of size. the ribbing is about 4 inches long.
Monday, 13 January 2014
Saturday was a busy day and yesterday I didn't feel like crafting in the evening (usually a sign that I'm overtired), so I don't have much to report. I cast on this sweater...twice: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/twist I'm doing it as part of a knit a long (KAL) and because I love making sweaters. I've made 4 so far (3 for me and one for my daughter) and will try to post on them later. This cardigan has what I'm looking for in a knitted project. Some sort of design to make the knitting not totally boring, but not so much cabling where I can't knit it without looking at the pattern every 2 minutes. I'm using Berroco Ultra Alpaca in a gold-ish color. I guess on their website, it would be "dijon". I'm a bit nervous about how a sweater that color will look on me, but I'm willing to give it a try. I say that I cast it on twice because originally I cast on with the main needle size and had missed the "using smaller needles" bit. I managed to get close to gauge with a size 7 needle. I originally cast on with those and thankfully only got about an inch into the ribbing on the back before noticing that I was using the wrong needles (not that it would have been horrible if I hadn't noticed...I think). I've only done about 3 rows with the smaller needles. I'm making the 46 inch bust size as I got 19.5 stitches for 4 inches rather than 19 and I need about a 44 inch bust size. The next smaller in the pattern was a 42, so I figure that 46 should be the best option and turn out about right. I don't want to try larger needles because I like the fabric I got in my swatch and think that the larger needles would make it a bit holey.
Friday, 3 January 2014
A few months ago, a friend was tagged in a photo of a ring that they had made. With all this wire, I decided that I needed to try to make one. I fail.
Thursday, 2 January 2014
Welcome to my new blog! I do a variety of crafts, mostly fiber related, and have tried before to have a blog where I kept track of what I've done. I've recently gotten into jewelry making and find myself with a little more time to craft so I thought I'd try for a craft blog again. Here's my most recent project. I found the idea in this book that I found at JoAnn Fabrics.