Saturday, 26 April 2014
A busy day today. I took the girls to English Gardens to see what I could get for vegetables for my garden. I ended up with a flat of pansies, a basil, oregano and sage along with 3 kinds of lettuce. We also got some carrot seeds (Valerie's suggestion: "I like carrots, they're good for you"), cucumber seeds, green onion seeds, a wildflower seed mix, some purple flower that I don't remember the name of at the moment and zinnia, perhaps. Also a bag of onion bulbs. We came home because my Father-in-law was coming over to look at our garage door opener that had stopped working last weekend and I knew my girls would want to see him. He determined that the opener wasn't fixable, switched out our old dishwasher for a new-to-us dishwasher given to us from my brother-in-law and sister-in-law and hung a new swing (?) for the girls in addition to taking the girls for a bike ride to the park. I'm still not sure where he gets all his energy.
Friday, 25 April 2014
The garden has been progressing. I've planted a row each of peas and bean seeds. I even have one pea sprout. There are a couple other sprouts, but one isn't where I planted seeds, so there is something else in there.
Sunday, 20 April 2014
I've finished filling my raised garden beds. There is still almost a third of the 3 cubic yards of soil left. We plan to use the rest to fix the grading around our house, at least where the driveway and porch aren't preventing it. Our house is over 80 years old. The basement walls are in decent shape, but changing the grading to make the water run away from the house will help it last longer. The basement is not musty or anything and I want to keep it that way. The house is currently surrounded with lava rock to keep the weeds away. I had originally thought to remove the lava rock, but then we'd have to get rid of it somehow. Now I'm thinking to just cover it with the soil. I did take some of the soil and fill a few pots. We plan to put herbs in some of the pots and flowers in others. I finished the wings I was making for the girls last night. I followed this tutorial: http://sistersguild.blogspot.com/2011/06/monday-makery-pillowcase-wings.html The "feathers" are cut with pinking shears and glued on with fabric glue. That's about the only way I was willing to make them. I'm mostly happy with how they turned out. About the only thing I don't like is how they hang on the girls. They seem to hang below their arms. I wanted them to run along the line of their arms. Let's see... details: The base of the wings is a sheet that was still in good condition except for the elastic, which had died. The feathers are cut out pillowcases that I bought at the thrift shop. I cut out a template... to be honest I cut out 3 different size templates and used the one that I thought would be the best size for the wings. I had measured from wrist to wrist and from neck to knee on each girl to figure out how big to make the wings and drew out a pattern for the wing base. Taking pictures of girls who won't stand still is difficult. OK, some pictures:
Friday, 18 April 2014
I've come to the conclusion that I need to post here regularly about what I'm working on rather than just trying to post about finished projects once they're done. The idea of going back and writing a full post about a project afterward has just been daunting. I hope to do some of that soon, but until then there will be briefer updates about stuff I've been working on. Knitting and spinning came to a screeching halt when I cut my thumb. I'm now fully healed from that although if I hit it just right it still hurts sometimes. At knit night on Wednesday, I did a gauge swatch with Lamb's Pride bulky in 3 shades of blue (one ply each shade it looks like). I plan to make a simple cardigan with it, perhaps with this pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/78-13-cardigan-in-passion I like that it's simple and should knit up quickly. The lack of cables or other pattern is fine for this multicolored yarn. My concern is that it's a DROPS pattern, which wasn't very clear for my first cardigan, but turned out a beautiful cardigan. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/134-55-chocolate-passion---jacket-with-cables-in-alaska It is much longer than this shows, but otherwise fits me well. I've been working on building garden beds. I've never had a proper garden before although I remember going out to pick things from our garden when I was young. I want my kids to have that same memory. In the past I've grown tomatoes and loved being able to send Valerie out to pick tomatoes, which she loves eating. I'm currently thinking tomatoes, beans, peas, cucumbers, green onions and rhubarb. I've planted my rhubarb outside of the raised bed as our dirt is decent and I'm hoping it will get big. It has been in a pot for 2 years and in the ground at the old house for a year before that. I knew we wanted to move and wanted to bring it with me. I had two plants there but the other was much smaller and I wasn't sure how it would work. Dad says he'll bring me some established plant cut offs from a friend of his. I'm looking forward to that.