Sunday 23 February 2014

Butter

Last weekend I tried making butter. I started with some heavy whipping cream in a jar that I handed to the girls.
Valerie jumped around with it for a while and Cordelia took a turn at shaking it, as did I, but I ended up "cheating" and using my KitchenAid. It started with whipping cream:
Then it became whipped cream:
Then you could see the buttermilk coming out.
It would run out of the stuff in the attachment. It started looking rather chunky, then I strained out the milk.
It didn't come together like butter as I had expected until I put it back into the mixer to get more of the milk out:
You then put it in a bowl of cold water and knead it a bit to get the last of the milk out (I guess any milk left in it makes it go off more quickly).
When the water stays clear, you're done. I took some of the butter and added honey to it:
Yum! Of course I also had to make bread to go with the honey butter. I ended up with 1 pound, 10 ounces of butter from a half gallon of heavy whipping cream. I also ended up with a fair amount of buttermilk. I froze 3, 4 oz pats of butter wrapped in parchment paper and all of the buttermilk (but not in parchment paper). It was neat to see the change from cream to butter, but it took much longer than I had expected, even in the KitchenAid. I will probably do it again, but not for a while. We don't really use much butter and I need to figure out what to do with the buttermilk first.

5 comments:

  1. So cool! I want to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my response when I saw a post on how to make butter. :)

      Delete
  2. That sounds awesome, I'll have to try this sometime!

    As for what to do with the buttermilk, make bread: http://cheesecakeandbeyond.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/honey-buttermilk-bread/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my response too when I heard about it. Bread is a good idea. I've also been thinking about pancakes. I'm glad it all freezes well so I have a little time to get around to it. I'll check out that recipe. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Ooh, that recipe looks good. I may try it in my breadmaker as I'm more likely to make it that way. I've had better luck with my bread as well.

      Delete