Friday 14 September 2018

Octopus fascinator

What have I been up to lately? Mostly trying to get through the summer with the girls at home. I did whip up these two octopuses for a friend. She had asked me to make her an octopus and I couldn't resist making this from a pattern I found on Ravelry.


My 6 year old kept putting it on her head. I need to make another for her and attach it to a barrette as it would be an adorable fascinator!

Pattern info:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mini-amigurumi-octopus
The link in Ravelry takes you to a website where the pattern is written for free.
I followed the written pattern at the bottom, rather than following along with the pictures, mainly because I wanted to be able to print out something relatively short to take with me to things like swimming lessons.

The pattern is simple enough for someone who is comfortable with crochet, especially amigurumi. I did add a row of "*sc2, dec* around" after the pattern has you "*sc3, dec* around" because it seems like it would make the bottom a little less flat. Did it make much of a difference? I don't know. It didn't mess it up, so that's good.

There are small bits missing from the written pattern. It was nothing of note to those who are familiar with crochet, but may be confusing to a beginner.

The pattern calls for 7mm eyes, but I used 6 mm eyes that I did have rather than buying more. I think they work fine. On the lighter colored one, I placed the eyes one row higher than I did in the darker, which I had made first. In the picture instructions it indicates when to place the eyes and states "place a couple rounds above where you're working" I took that to mean 2 rows, but I placed the eyes on the lighter one at 3 rows above where I was working and I like how it looks better.

Would I make these again? Totally! They took about 2 hours each to make and are super cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment