Monday 19 February 2018

Quarterly maker crate curated by Adam Savage

In November I subscribed to Quarterly. I'll admit it was because Adam Savage was curating a couple boxes for it. I'd been skeptical about boxes like these in the past, but a box that he curated should be decent.

For those who aren't familiar with the Quarterly, you subscribe to get a box every three months (also known as quarterly) based on a theme. The one I signed up for is for makers and is curated by fellow makers and scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye. They also have a Literary box, curated by best selling authors and a Cuisine box curated by chefs. Those seem much less interesting to me.

The box arrived mid December and I was excited to open it!
Here's what it contained:
A cutting mat and grid ruler


A knife for cutting

A dual temp hot glue gun and glue sticks

A bag, pencils, eraser and tape measure

Not pictured are a notebook, a bag containing numbered cardboard pieces and a short stack of cardboard. There were also instructions to start drawing simple items around us to practice drawing and a puzzle to solve to unlock a couple videos related to the box.

I saw that some people were disappointed by what was in this box, especially for the price. I wasn't unhappy. I've taken the notebook and, although I've skipped the included lessons for the moment (I want to get to those soon), I started sketching ideas to sculpt in it. I haven't been sketching out what I've been thinking of sculpting, so ideas get lost. I want that to change. There are pictures of a few of my drawings on my Valdelia Maker FB page

This holiday season was a making-centric one. I received the above, while my daughters each were given a subscription to a maker crate, which so far has been very appropriately assigned for my daughters. More on these crates in future posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment