Sunday 7 January 2018

Octopuses

Back in August, I made a new hat. 

Meet Hamish:



Hamish has accompanied me most places that I've been this winter. Sadly, my daughters aren't old enough yet to be embarrassed by me when I drop them off at school wearing an octopus on my head. Hamish is great for keeping me warm because his tentacles come down lower around my face than most hats do. He does argue a bit with my winter jacket, which has a hood that also wants to take up space around the back of my neck, but he mostly cooperates.

I love that he makes people smile.

In November he went with me to a knitting retreat. The people there loved him! I could hardly get across the room to go out and listen to the wonderful waves on Lake Michigan without people wanting to get his picture. It was like attending with a celebrity!  I did take him for a walk on the beach. He behaved and didn't try to go for a swim. Perhaps he knew the water would be quite cold. It was November in Michigan after all.

He gets lots of attention wherever we go.  A few people have asked if I'm going to make them to sell. I had been telling them no. Then, when I went to donate blood, the nurse who took my information said "Here is my phone number *writes down phone number and name on the paper they always send me home with* call me if you decide to make them to sell. I'd love to wear one, maybe in red and white, to the Red Wings game"
That got me really thinking about making them. I make one for each of my daughters and paid attention to how long it took to make so that I'd know roughly how much I'd have to charge for them to make them worth my time.
Here's Thing One with her octopus which she's named "Fred the abominable octopus"



And here's Thing Two with her octopus, which I think she's also named Fred. Yes, her sweatshirt is on backward. I think it had something to do with her sister's bff teddy bear not liking moose, which is what's on the front of the sweatshirt. She wanted the front two tentacles to be pinned up in curls. Who am I to argue with this cuteness?





Thankfully the woman who designed the pattern for this hat has been kind enough to allow people to sell what they make from the pattern. She asks that we post a link to her Etsy shop. Here's a link https://www.etsy.com/listing/525624161/updated-crochet-octopus-hat-pattern-pls?ref=shop_home_active_6 Thank you to the Twisted Hatter for the pattern!

Coming soon: Octopuses part two, which will be about ones I'm making to sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment