Sunday 3 December 2017

Jam season!

This past week was the week that straddled the end of November and beginning of December so, of course,  that means it's jam making season here in Michigan!
OK, so maybe I'm a bit behind, but I made 6 batches of jam this week.

I had picked some mulberries from the neighbor's yard this summer and then promptly left town for several days, so they were stuck in the freezer to make jam when I returned (later in July).

Heh.
Monday I hoped that I had enough for two batches. After pureeing the berries and measuring them out, I had about 2 T more than I needed. Whew!
I follow the recipe at The Dirty Radish: http://thedirtyradish.blogspot.com/2011/06/recipe-mulberry-jam.html, but I don't take the stems off of the mulberries. The friend who shared the link with me doesn't either. That would take way too much time and energy. I've yet to find a stem in my jam and I've heard no complaints from all those that I've introduced to mulberry jam either. I just throw them all in my food processor and measure out the 3 cups when they're all broken down. So far I've had good luck with this recipe. It's the husband's favorite that I make.
I didn't manage to get any pictures of it before squirreling it away into the pantry.

The other "jam" I made this week was an experiment with a bit of a back story. When my parents come to visit, we often go out for breakfast at a local restaurant. Just about every time we go, they lament on how you can get mixed berry jelly in the little packets at restaurants, but you can't go to the store and buy a jar. I did manage to find a website that had the same lament but she had done something about it.
Thank you to Ms. Butler and her post at: https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/sauce-spread/jam/mixed-fruit-jelly.html
This is the easiest jelly ever...because it's made with fruit juices bought at the store. No picking berries, no straining out seeds.

Is it tasty? Yes. Is it like Smuckers? Don't know. I tend to go for strawberry jam when I go out for breakfast. I just need to get my jam tasters (husband and daughters) to try it out and see if it passes muster. I don't think it will be my favorite (strawberry freezer jam for ever!), but I'm looking forward to trying it on some toast.
My main complaint, if you can call it that, is that I found all the juices in rather large containers. The daughters don't drink that much juice. I didn't want it to go to waste, so I may have made a bit more than we could ever use in a year. Good thing the holidays are coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment