Friday 3 February 2017

365 days of making

This year, unlike most years, I decided to make a New Year's resolution. I resolve to craft every day.

Keeping this resolution will be easier than most because it's something I enjoy doing, but in the past, I've had weeks where I did little to no crafting and my mood suffered for it. I don't know for sure if the gloomy mood was cause or effect of the lack of crafting, but that's not important today. I tend to feel better when I make things so I want to make things every day.

While I should have started updating this blog at the beginning of the year, I'm going to try catching up on what I've worked on this year and keep this blog as a record of my crafting. I have so far kept my resolution, even if the crafting was 10 minutes of knitting snuck in wherever I could.

Let's start with Totoro.
For those who are not familiar with Totoro, I recommend that you remedy that, but in short he is the title character in the film My Neighbor Totoro by Hayao Miyazaki through Studio Ghibli. He is a wind spirit that takes a couple girls, roughly my daughters' ages when they first saw the film, on magical adventures.

I started Totoro toward the end of 2016, but one of the first things I made this year was the leaf that he wears on his head in one scene.


This brings him close to being finished. I have wire for his whiskers and need to make him an umbrella. I've been nervous about the umbrella, but I think I know how to do it, so I just need to get to it. Here is a front view of him before the leaf. Yes, he's supposed to look a bit demonic.
When I get him finished, I'll send pictures to Tested.com. I sent them pictures in December of the needlefelted Appa that I did a few years ago because they encourage the making of things and have a dearth of fibery goodness on their page. For those of you new to my blog, here's Appa: 

Yes, he's supposed to have six legs. He is a flying bison in Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Thank you for joining me on my 365 days of crafting journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment