Wednesday 21 October 2015

Crumpets

We were invited to a tea party this past weekend. I was asked to bring some of my homemade jams, which I was happy to do. I figure I had to come up with something to put them on and my husband suggested crumpets.

When we were living in England and I came across crumpets in the store, I had to try them. I had heard of them, but didn't really know what they were. They were tasty. Kind of eggy, but there are no eggs in the recipe. They are definitely different to English muffins...which I'm not sure if I ever saw in England.

I had made crumpets once before and was pretty happy with how they had turned out. I found the recipe online, but hadn't saved it. I think this is the recipe I used the first time, but I'm not 100% certain.

http://www.europeancuisines.com/England-English-The-Best-Crumpet-Crumpets-Recipe

It is the recipe I used this time. Since I was going to a tea party and didn't know the number of attendees, I wanted to make quite a few, so I made 3 batches. The packets of yeast come in sets of 3, which did play into my decision.

I do find it interesting that the website quotes an early crumpet recipe that uses eggs, but then doesn't use eggs.

Crumpets are interesting in that they have yeast and are allowed to rise, but are poured to cook in rings.
Ready to rise

3 batches risen. It is supposed to fall, but I ran out of time.
After the rising, you mix in salt then let it rest. Then you add milk and baking soda and they're ready.

Following her recipe, the crumpets turn out blind, with no holes. The batter is simply too thick. I didn't keep track of how many Tablespoons of water I added, but I know it was more than 10.  The first few crumpets of each batch are test crumpets.

Crumpet progression. The one on the left is almost completely blind.
I added water and tried another until they looked like the one on the right.

Cooking crumpet with lots of holes.

Part way through the cooking phase, I had to stop to go get my daughter and her friend from school. When I returned, the batter was all bubbly. It cooked up a bit oddly, but it seemed to do OK. Perhaps it is because I didn't let the dough rise completely the first time.

Bubbly dough

I of course had to sample them. Here are tea and crumpets with homemade strawberry freezer jam.



Overall, I think they turned out. I do think I should have made them a bit thicker. They freeze well and are best when warm, so I throw them in the toaster oven for a bit before enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment